Sunday, November 9, 2014

Cam Scott 'Somethin bout a Girl'



My old friend Josh Wallace asked me to DP this music video for him. Josh and I used to work together over ten years ago, when we had a small production company and released a couple of Snowboarding films. Josh had a great concept, and the song was good. I was happy to come on board.

140928_111

We filmed for three days, in and around Queenstown.

cam-scott-shoot-day-1-001

I used my Red Epic Dragon cameras, and I was assisted by my local crew. Cam Stoltz Camera Assist, Josh Dunn Grip, and John Hogan Gaffer.

cam-scott-shoot-day-2-071

I filmed the first part of the clip as a bit of a road movie, prodominently with a handheld camera, and an organic feel.

cam-scott-shoot-day-2-280

There was a flashback component. I didn't want to go the usual cheesy post treatment for this, so I achieved the effect in camera. I used a custom made lens, and shot right on sundown.

dscf3818

The performance was one of my favourite setups. I always like creating an environment with light. We chose a small Church Hall as the location, and I had a great time lighting it to look like a small town pub concert.

dscf3831

We didn't have the budget for a Dolly or a Jib... but, luckily I own a MoVI, and my Grip Josh Dunn was happy to haul it around the concert. I operated remotely from a 17" monitor.

cam-scott-shoot-day-3-098

We continued using the MoVI on some of the Jetboat shots, and we also used a Quadcopter with a GoPro4 on it for the aerials of the boat.

dscf3628

It was a very ambitious shoot, with lots of locations and components. But, it was a great opportunity to make something we could be proud of, and I really enjoyed working with Josh again.

Stills Photography by: Paul Green, Holly Wallace, Cam Stoltz



No comments:

Post a Comment